Perfect Scrambled Eggs Every Time


Scrambled eggs is one of the first things many people are taught to cook, yet a restaurant style, fluffy, moist and flavorful plate of golden scrambled eggs is elusive to many. This is how I make eggs that are perfect (for me) every time.
Mug by Pip the Potter 


First step is to use the right cookware for the job. Choose an electric griddle or a skillet with a heavy bottom. I use the small skillet for one or two scrambled eggs, the larger one for 3-6 and the griddle for 6-10 eggs. It is very annoying to cook scrambled eggs on the griddle because you have to be constantly moving them away from dripping into the grease trap. 


Preheat your pan while you get the eggs ready. Do not skip this step! The eggs are weird if the pan isn't hot when you put them in. I preheat the whole time I'm getting my eggs ready at medium heat. You will have to experiment with your stove to see what is right. 


I never measure my liquid before adding it but I did today for you. I used just under 1/4 cup of whole milk for six eggs and that was just right. Water can also be used and it's not a whole lot different. I would use water over soymilk if you have a problem with dairy. 

This is the part most people do differently. Beat the eggs in a bowl with a whisk (a large fork will do if you don't own one) and beat until you are kinda tired of it and then go thirty seconds longer. It should look like this if you beat it enough. 


You will see no distinct yolk or white and it will feel airy and look bubbly. Sprinkle salt as you go. I always put a finger in and taste to make sure it's salty enough because under salted eggs are not yummy and salting afterwards isn't the same. Don't worry you will be tasting so little egg you are not going to get salmonella or something. I've done it hundreds of times. 


Now spray your pan with cooking spray or use a little lump of butter. I usually use butter. Do not allow the butter to become brown or sizzle loudly. If it turns brown quickly or sizzles loudly when you plop it in your pan is too hot! Cool it and start over. 


This is what the eggs looked like shortly after pouring them into the pan. I ground some black pepper on top. They are not ready to be stirred or flipped. Give it some time to get solid on the bottom before you mess with it. Why don't you clean up all the egg shells you left on the counter?


Now it's ready. See how it's lifting up a little under the spatula? I just push the spatula across the bottom until all the eggs have been displaced. Don't chop or stir. 


This is what it looked like after pushing the spatula all around. Now wait again until the liquid begins to firm underneath. 


Push the eggs all around the pan once more when you see that it's firm on the bottom again. It looked like this after I did that. The eggs are nearly done. Right now they are still slimy. Let it go a bit longer and then flip. 


When the eggs are still glistening but no longer slimy remove from heat and serve immediately. If you plan to cover them and need a few minutes to prep other things then get them out shortly before this time. They will continue to cook after you remove them from the pan and you don't want them to dry.
And that's it!

For more cooking tips check out this post

Comments