Sound Check with Greg James Dec. 2017




Greg is this awesome dude who has done the sound at almost all of the shows at Burdock House and offers his equipment and services to other promoters around central Indiana as well. He runs sound and collects sound equipment because he loves local music and wants to support it as much as he can. He volunteers his time and is enthusiastic about the gear, the bands and getting the perfect balance. We pretty much probably couldn't host shows without him. In addition to that he also takes video and is starting to work on sound recordings for local bands. Lots and lots of folks have benefited from Greg's passion and dedication but few show attenders and musicians have ever gotten to know him. If you're curious about our sound set up at Burdock or if you like stories about people doing what they love then read on. 


Sybilla: So, who are you and what is your association with local music?

Greg: Greg James. I played in some garage bands in middle school. Took 5 years of piano. I hate to practice. I did some set up work for a local band at Purdue since I love all things technical.
Then we started having the local bands play at James Fest for a couple years.
That was a fun house show and kinda where I got started doing sound stuff.

Sybilla: Who is Hayley and how did she stumble upon the alternative music scene as a band geek?

Greg: Ah... Hayley is my little daughter clone! She is a true joy of my life. So much fun and a very good flautist if she would practice. She dated a couple local musicians. Her friends were my friends.

Sybilla: You and your daughter booked house shows together? How often did you guys do that and what was that like?

Greg: Actually, we just provided the venue and the band folks just showed up. We did it here for 3 years I think for Hayley's birthday. Dictionary Scene was just starting up. Also Cyrus Youngman...Then the last year, we also had a Halloween show, our neighbors shut us down at 12:30 or so. So, we stopped having shows. But it was fun! I built a stage in the front yard!

Sybilla: What kind of sound setup did you have then?

Greg: A small 100 watt 4 channel powered mixer with two 10 inch speakers. Actually I still use it sometimes. It didn't take me long to figure out it wasn't near enough to do a real show. Slowly upgrading my gear. Every dollar from shows goes back into better gear.

Sybilla: Do you get paid to run sound at local shows?

Greg: It kinda depends on the venue and crowd. Most times I get $20 or $25 bucks. Sometimes it makes sense to put show money to help a band get home or for a good cause.

Sybilla: So, it’s certainly not a source of income for you. It’s my understanding that you continued to run sound for the bands you met during the James Fest years even though Hayley is now pursuing other interests. How long ago were those shows anyway, like 2010-13? I’m curious; what keeps you involved with local music and what do you love about running sound?

Greg: James Fest I think ran 09,10, and maybe 12. I believe that we have a lot of local talent in our area. I have always felt strongly about supporting local live music. It's important to me to listen to, capture, and enhance our local music scene.  I think we have Burdock sounding pretty good now.

Sybilla: I have to agree although I'm almost illiterate about sound which is funny since I've booked shows for over six years (non consecutively). haha! What is your sound set up like now and what is your biggest band sound or set up pet peeve?

Greg: So, now we're running a Behringer 16 channel wireless digital mixer, 2 500 watt 15" powered mains, 2 stage monitors with their own 100 watt amp and a 15 inch subwoofer with it's own amp. Also using your Dad's  15 " speakers and a 600 watt power amp. Drum overhead and kick mics, 2 or three vocal mics. Pet peeves. Insanely loud guitars. Makes it so hard to get vocals over the guitars. Dropped mics...not cool.
Best part is meeting all the musicians and working with them to make a good set. It seems some sound techs are not musician-friendly.

Sybilla: Another reason the scene is fortunate to have you!
Do you think anyone could start booking decent shows in their home? What are the necessities for running sound well? Do you have any other suggestions or tips?

Greg:I think it is hard to do in a house unless there is a large open garage or basement. Normal room size is not conducive to full band and sound gear. We have had decent shows in a large garage. Of course the whole noise level and keeping neighbors happy thing.

Sybilla: Any gear recommendations for those with a large enough space?

Greg:I am becoming a big fan of powered speakers. I also really like the hard plastic speaker cases as they don't show road wear like fabric covering.

Sybilla: I know you aren’t the type to pick favorites but what local band do you find yourself listening to the most outside of live performances? What other bands are you into right now?

Greg:Wow... I have been listening to a lot of Indian Old School lately. I am working with them on recording a new album. I have found some new-to-me stuff from Operation Ivy, The National, Gary Clark, Jr., Vance Joy, and the X Ambassadors. So much good music, so little time!

Sybilla: That’s so exciting about Indian Old School! Where are you recording? Do you think you may get into recording more?

Greg:I have a studio in my house. It is an enclosed sun porch big enough for a band. I have my recording gear set up there. I call it the Elephant Lounge. Named after a glass elephant. I think I will be working with the Free Bass N Space Monkeys after we finish the Indian Old School album. I consider it a way to help our local music get out there. I am in no way a trained professional, but pretty happy with the tracks with the Parker brothers (interviewers note: the members of Indian Old School are brothers)... If I can help others get their stuff recorded, I am open to working with them.

Sybilla: Tell me more about the video and recording projects you've been working on at shows. Where can people find the videos?

Greg: So, all the video is on YouTube. Search for the ParksideServices channel. Lots of vintage stuff from the Paramount Open Jam, Deep House, and The Warehouse (interviewers note: The Open Jam was an open mic type event that happened regularly at the Paramount theater downtown and Deephouse and the Warehouse are small venues which no longer do shows) as well as more recent video from Burdock and Casa del Crass.

Sybilla: Did you also run sound at all those shows?

Greg: The Paramount was videos only. They have a real sound guy! The Warehouse didn't have anybody to run sound, I shot video there only...

Sybilla: What else do you do outside of supporting local music?

Greg: I am an adjunct instructor in IT at Purdue-Anderson and I do some IT consulting now and then. I listen to a lot of music. I heat with wood, have a garden, compost, and have 4 cats and a dog.

Check out:  Parkside Services

Comments